I am a strong advocate for people to go to their doctors and have an annual blood test to ensure your liver enzymes are within reasonable levels. I believe in prevention and becoming aware of this epidemic.
Recently in the support group I run on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/fattyliversupport/ someone asked if anyone had gotten pregnant with the fatty liver disease. A few woman had but almost all of them had been warned by their hepatologist that this was a very dangerous thing to do.
1. The risk of giving your baby a fatty liver while in your womb is high. The risk that a healthy baby will also grow up to have a fatty liver is also high.
2. Acute Fatty Liver occurs rarely but it can happen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acute_fatty_liver_of_pregnancy. This is killing women and baby in childbirth and is very scary.
So wow this makes this quiet disease even more important for you to pay attention too. If you are considering getting pregnant , please get a full physical with a test for liver disease. If your result is that you have a fatty liver , you need to take advantage of this organ which can regenerate cells and you can reverse the disease. here are my suggestions:
1. Reverse the disease by eating lots of green vegetables, lean proteins, a few fruits, a few low glycemic grains, and unsalted nuts for fats.
2. Stop eating processed or fast food.
3. Drink lots of Water, and herbal teas, do not drink soda pop or sugar based juices.
4. Use high quality supplements that are based in scientific proof.
Go for the blood test every 6 months until your liver enzymes are low.
Once your liver enzymes have been clean for 1 year i would consider risking pregnancy.
It is critical for you and your developing baby that you eat healthy throughout the pregnancy and throughout the time you breastfeed your baby.
You do not want to risk giving your baby this disease through your body or your breastmilk.
Once you have this baby commit to protecting your child from this disease by staying away from processed foods make your own baby foods or at least buying organic foods from a trusted source. Do not let them eat chicken nuggets, kraft dinner or any other convenient foods. Foods need to be homemade and full of healthy goodness for life!
Please consider this information and share with anyone who might be considering pregnancy. This is important and we need to stop this epidemic now!